Sean M. Hoffman
Sean M. Hoffman graduated from Texas Tech University in 2011 with a degree in Business Management and from the University of Tulsa College of Law in 2015 with a Juris Doctorate. He then joined an International Construction company in its legal department. In 2016, he joined an Austin personal injury firm where he began his career as a litigator. Prior to joining the Skelton & Woody team, Sean worked for over five years at a national insurance defense firm where he oversaw and investigated cases involving elements of fraud as part of Texas's Special Investigation Unit for a major insurer. It was his responsibility to develop and implement defense strategies for his clients against injury claims. Sean handled cases from "file to trial," trying numerous cases throughout Texas. He has extensive courtroom and trial experience. His practice at Skelton & Woody focuses on insurance defense and commercial litigation.
Tulsa, OK - Juris Doctor, University of Tulsa, College of Law, May 2015
Lubbock, TX Bachelor of Business Administration, Management, Texas Tech University, Rawls College of Business, December 2011
Allstate Insurance Company - Lisa Chastain & Associates, Field Counsel, October 2018 – Present
- Oversee and investigate cases involving elements of fraud as part of Texas’s Special Investigation Unit.
- Identify and investigate legal issues for home office and claims representatives.
- Handle all stages of civil litigation “file to trial;” have tried over 20 cases to verdict(?).
- Develop and implement strategies to defend Allstate-insured clients & Allstate itself against third- and first-party personal injury claims and analyze risk as cases are worked up for trial.
- Mentor new attorneys and provide guidance in litigation generally.
- Have roundtable negotiations with claims adjusters and home office. Assign new files to attorneys and staff.
- Take Examinations Under Oath to investigate claims prior to litigation being filed to determine if fraud is present and provided recommendations for home office.
Lorenz & Lorenz, Personal Injury Attorney, Austin, TX, June 2016 – October 2018
- Managed a docket of over 190 cases, negotiated settlements of over $1.1 million in fees.
- Handled all stages of civil litigation (filing, discovery, depositions, mediation, and trial).
- Successfully managed client relationships, including troubleshooting client problems. Earned multiple 5-star reviews for the firm.
- Deposed and defended depositions of numerous Plaintiff and Defendants, including non-English speaking deponents.
Cintra US, In-House Legal Intern, Austin, TX, September 2015 – June 2016
- Managed existing liabilities by summarizing and analyzing important issues in existing contracts, including core project documents.
- Conducted Risk Management Assessment in determining tort liability in toll road construction.
- Assisted in drafting legal documents; reviewed and commented on counter-party drafts.
- Identified possible future liabilities by summarizing and analyzing important issues in draft documents such as non-disclosure agreements, services/consulting contracts, and project documents.
Tulsa Public Defender’s Office, Law Clerk-Misdemeanors, Tulsa, OK, February – May 2015
- Prepared case files by conducting client interviews, researching applicable statutes, and gathering relevant case law.
Dorado Petroleum, Land Intern, Fort Worth, TX, Summer 2014
- Negotiated lease terms with mineral rights owners.
- Led Leasehold Acquisitions for the Company in the Kentucky Play by negotiating lease terms including bonus payments and royalties. Executed five-year leases with five-year renewal terms.
- Conducted title searches and examinations of courthouse records, reviewed title opinions and pulled source deeds for properties in West Texas.
- Managed a team of interns & landmen, devising methods to coordinate efforts nationwide.
- Austin Bar Association, Austin, TX, Spring 2017 – Present
- Austin Young Lawyers Association, Austin, TX, Spring 2017 – Present